The Ice House ~~ "A Cool Place for Hot Art"
History of the Ice House
For nearly 20 years, the Morgan Arts Council was a gypsy organization, "getting
art out there" wherever there was space. That changed in June 1996 when U.S. Borax
gifted MAC with a 40,000 square foot former storage building in the center of Berkeley
Built circa 1910 to store apples, the four-floor yellow brick building had other uses
through the 20th century including a furniture store, health club and teen center.
Renovation is ongoing. Nearly $400,000 has been invested in utilities and access.
The first floor now has a Great Hall, three classrooms, MAC office, darkroom and gallery
funded by state and Benedum Foundation grants as well as individual and business
donations. Donors are immortalized in the Legacy Vine, a painting by Mary Ellen
Snyder that hangs in the entry hall.
The Ice House Development Fund has been established to raise funds for continued
renovation. Operation of the Ice House is to be self-sustaining. Existing space
is rented for commercial and community activities as well as being used by MAC.
Literally thousands of people have enjoyed, bought, practiced and made art in
the Ice House since its acquisition. The future promises even more.
Why the Ice House
MAC fantasized about the cold storage building for years before it became reality.
In the fantasies, the building was called by the name of a similar building in Denver
that had been transormed into an art center -- the Ice House.
The Ice House is located in downtown Berkeley Springs at the corner of Independence
and Mercer streets (directions).
The Ice House as a Community Center
With its "Great Hall," multi-purpose area and three classrooms, the Ice House
is the perfect place for meetings, classes, and receptions for community groups
and other organizations.
To find out more about space rental opportunities contact
the MAC Office, at 304-258-2300 or Click here to send us a message